You just moved into a rental unit, only you now realize the shower tile and grout is a disgusting, mold infested breeding ground. You swear and curse under your breath, and lecture yourself on why you didn’t notice the filth before. As long as you don’t argue with yourself we are good to move on. Grossed out, you roll up your sleeves, put the kitchen rubber gloves that reach your elbows, and prepare for the necessary task at hand. Who feels clean after taking a shower in a moldy shower/bath tub anyway?
Direct Carpet Cleaners would like to offer a few methods on removing the mold and mildew off your shower grout.
Method #1 – How to Clean Grout with Bleach and Baking Soda
1. Mix the following in a bucket:
– 1 tsp. liquid dish soap
– 1 cup baking soda
– (Optional) Several drops of your favorite essential oils to help expand fragrance in your shower.
– Add hot water until you have made a paste substance.
2. Apply the paste on the infected area, and allow to sit for approximately 10 minutes.
3. Scrub the area down well with a medium-firm scrub brush, and rinse well with warm water.
4. Either towel dry the area or allow the surface to air dry.
5. Prepare a spray bottle with 1 part bleach and 2 parts warm water and make sure it is mixed well.
6. Spray down the moldy surface with the solution and allow it to set in until it is dried.
7. Reapply solution and scrub with a medium-firm scrub brush, or tooth brush in the corners.
8. Rinse down with hot water.
9. Repeat if necessary.
Method #2 – Vinegar to Remove Mold and Grout Haze
1. Pour vinegar in spray bottle. Do not dilute as vinegar is a good weapon to use against mold, and is best applied concentrated.
2. Either open a window, or utilize the fan in your bathroom, and generously spray the vinegar on the moldy surface. Allow it to set in for approximately 1 hour.
3. Rinse the area with hot water and dry off with a towel.
4. Vinegar is a good product to use to ward off any future outbreaks. It has been proven to destroy over 80% of known mold species. For the best results, spray your shower after every use.
Method #3 – Ammonia to Remove Mold and Mildew from Grout
Warning: Never mix bleach and ammonia. To do so creates hazardous fumes. Most glass cleaners and other products have ammonia in it so be cautious when working with bleach and ammonia based products.
1. Pour clear ammonia in a spray bottle, and generously squirt the molded area.
2. Using a medium-firm scrub brush, scrub the mold spores away and allow it to set. Ammonia is very strong and folks with sensitive nasal passages should either wear a mask or use other methods when cleaning mold.
3. Leave the room for a couple hours with the window open and/or fan on to help clear up the fumes.
4. Rinse the previously agitated area with hot water, and wipe dry.
Method #4 – Hydrogen Peroxide Mold Removal from Grout
Note: Hydrogen Peroxide will lose its power in the light, it needs to be kept in dark bottles for superiority. Hydrogen peroxide has the ability to lighten materials. To ensure your grout isn’t compromised, conduct a patch test in an inconspicuous area.
1. Hydrogen peroxide is good on its own, or can be mixed with a bit of vinegar if that is your preference. Just mix in a darkened spray bottle.
2. Spray down the mold with your hydrogen peroxide (or peroxide / vinegar blend) and allow it to set for approximately 20 minutes. If available, open a window and/or run the fan to remove the pungent odor from the cleaner. If needed, you can let it set a couple hours to relieve yourself of the smell.
3. Reapply a fresh coat and scrub.
4. Rinse with hot water.
5. Towel dry.
Professional Tile & Grout, Carpet, Rug, Upholstery, Mattress, Drapery & Air Duct Cleaning in Las Vegas, Summerlin, North Las Vegas & Henderson Nevada
In general, tile and grout can be tricky to clean without damaging it. As you need professional cleanings with carpets, your tile and grout can use a deep professional cleaning regularly. Our professionals at Direct Carpet Cleaners, has the expertise, equipment and detergents to give your tile and grout a beautiful, deep cleaning for your bathroom shower or anywhere in your home. Call us today for your next appointment.